I absolutely love Minocqua for summer & fall photo sessions, because, it’s MINOCQUA! I photograph many sessions for visiting & local families and high school seniors every year and this iconic area never disappoints. Here are my Minocqua Family Session Tips. These are tips that always help my clients plan for our time together to ensure great results and a good time. I hope these tips help you too!
1. Choose the right time and location: The best time for family photo sessions is during the early morning or late afternoon/early evening depending on the time of the year. Ideally plan your session 1-3 hours before sunset time when the light is softer because it gives a warm, golden hue.
Choose a location that is meaningful to your family, such as a favorite park, trail, or landmark. Minocqua is famous for its historic resorts, camps and cabin rentals… so consider planning a session on location where you’re staying. Sessions on a lake’s shore, boat, or dock can be so meaningful too. The Bearskin Trail and bridges are very popular . Avoid weekends if possible as Minocqua is a very busy summer tourist destination.
2. Coordinate your outfits: Choose colors and patterns that complement each other, but avoid wearing matching outfits. My hubby has a family picture from way back when, where they’re all dressed head to toe in denim. It’s hilarious and we call it the “chain gang” photo. Ha! Avoid the jokes by coordinating but NOT matching. Dress comfortably, classy, and appropriately for the location and weather. Avoid wearing clothing with logos or bold patterns that can be distracting in the photos. Avoid athletic wear and sneakers. Go for classic timeless styles.
3. Bring your dog(s): Pets can add a fun and personal touch to your family photos because they’re an important part of the family too. Consider bringing or borrowing neutral color / leather collars and leashes because they’re less distracting than colorful collars & leashes that could clash with your clothing choices. A well behaved pet makes the session a joy, so work with you pet prior to the session for the best results. Bring treats! Have a plan for your pet for parts of the session where they aren’t required. Perhaps have a friend or family present to help with the pet.
4. Prepare your children: If you have young children, prepare them for the photo session by talking to them about what to expect and how to behave. Bring along snacks, water, toys, and other distractions to keep them entertained during the session.
5. Communicate with your photographer: I hope I get to be your photographer, because I’ll help you with every step and all the planning details. Definitely discuss your expectations and ideas with your photographer before the session to ensure that everyone is on the same page. Be open to their suggestions and ideas, as they have experience in creating beautiful family photos.
6. Relax and have fun: The most important thing to remember is to relax and have fun during the session so that you can look back and remember the enjoyable time together. Don’t worry too much about posing or trying to look perfect. The best family photos are those that capture genuine emotions and personalities. I’ll pose and guide you for flattering results too! Encourage all participants to cooperate and bring a willing friendly attitude to the session because , honestly, who wants to work with grumpy folks with poor attitudes? It’s difficult and disheartening when this is the case and it won’t be fun.
7. Consider hair & makeup for an extra special session: Professional hair & makeup styling can add an extra level of special to your session. Stylists in the area can provide what ever look you’re going for, from natural to glam, and everything in between. For make up, check out makeup artist Erin at https://beuniquebyeek.com/ and Salon Fiore https://www.livefiore.com/
7. Plan for prints and albums and more: After the session, plan to print and display your favorite photos in your home or create a family photo album. This will be a great way to preserve your memories and share them with family and friends. Make sure to get a copyright release (for personal use) from your photographer so you can make the most of your photos by printing, sharing, holiday cards, etc. Print your photos and enjoy them! Don’t leave them collecting dust on your computer or flash drive.
I would love to work with you to make some beautiful memories at your Minocqua family photo session. I can help you plan, chose your location and more. You can find me at brownstreetstudios.com Let’s connect! – Becky